,

How to Compare Files -File Compare

In contemporary world we have so many powerfull tools for version control like VSS, Tortoise SVN etc.

With help of there tools we can check different version of file with dates and other information.

But, what if I have to simply compare two files like notepad, word etc.

Let's take an simle example. I had made a file .cs file a year ago. I had made so many changes in that a year.

Now I am facing some problem in my code. I have only option to check older versions of my file, which is a time consuming job.

Means after each version I have to build and test my code.

Let me suggest you a simple solution which I had found on net using scootter softwares (Download Beyond Compare)

Beyond Compare allows you to quickly and easily compare your files and folders. By using simple, powerful commands you can focus on the differences you're interested in and ignore those you're not. You can then merge the changes, synchronize your files, and generate reports for your records.

You can compare entire drives and folders at high speed, checking just sizes and modified times. Or, thoroughly verify every file with byte-by-byte comparisons. FTP sites and zip files are integrated seamlessly, so you can update your website with the touch of a button.

Once you've found specific files you're interested in, Beyond Compare can intelligently pick the best way to compare and display them. Text files can be viewed and edited with syntax highlighting and comparison rules tweaked specifically for documents, source code, and HTML. Data files, executables, binary data, and images all have dedicated viewers as well, so you always have a clear view of the changes.

Now, get a one year older version of your file and your current file to compare.

pass both files to this tool it will mark all the changed, newly insertred and all the other alteration made in both the files with different colour combinations.

with the help of this tool you can easily come to conclusion which line has been changed and updated.

please let me know if you face any problem while using this tool or contact mailto:support@scootersoftware.com
Share:

No comments: